Friday 1 August 2008

Shake 'em out



Here's another photo of me from Sunday. This was just as I was leaving T2. I know that because I've got a water bottle in one hand, a carbohydrate gel in the other. Since I ditched them both within the first mile of the run, I can timestamp this photo pretty accurately.

Frankly, in my 43 years on the planet, there are times that I have looked better than this. I think also that in this photo I bear more than a passing resemblance to Fernando Alonso. Only my neck's not as thick as his.

As this week has gone on, there are more and more details of last Sunday that have returned to me.

One of my favourites was the guy manning the Bike In section. As I got off the bike, he said to me "Shake 'em out".

Now three months ago, that would have meant nothing to me.

And in the intervening period, I've discovered that one of the things that inhibits your run off the bike is the blood pooling in the hams of your legs.

And one of the ways of overcoming that is to shake your legs out to get them to start working again.

It was just a small sign that I know what I'm talking about in all of this.

No comments: